Definition of Landscape Lights
Landscape lights are any outdoor lights intended to enhance the safety, functionality, and aesthetic appeal of the surrounding landscape, pathways, and architectural features.
To be effective, landscape lighting needs to apply a mix of spotlights (narrow beams) and floodlights (wide beams).
Spotlights provide directed light that accents striking details or lights up specific tasks. Conversely, floodlights provide a wide, even wash of light to banish deep shadows.
For example, narrow-beamed downlights can accent the pillars of a waterfront deck while a wide-beamed pathway light illuminates the walkway.
Considering Apex Lighting excels at boat and dock lights, let’s explore oceanfront landscape lighting.
Marine grade lighting must add an extra layer of environmental consideration to its functionality—to survive exposure to sea salt and moisture.
For landscape lighting to be effective, it has to have the following characteristics:
- Aesthetic appeal: Highlight the unique beauty of outdoor spaces, in this case the ocean view. For example, the LED Pathway Light casts a flat, wide beam that lights the ground without obscuring the view. Underwater lights, such as the Mantis Dock Light Kit 3-Lights, can transform a dock into a beautiful seascape.
- Flexibility: Highly customizable fixtures help you add a personal touch to your landscape, whether they’re dimmable or have color-changing features.
- Energy efficiency: Incorporating LED technology into outdoor lighting makes it eco-friendly, as LED light fixtures last the longest and consume less energy than incandescent bulbs while delivering an equal or higher level of brightness.
- Durability: Exposure to sea salt spray can increase metal corrosion 10 times compared to the damage that occurs inland. To ensure durability, choose fixtures made of corrosion-resistant materials, such as stainless steel, copper, brass, and bronze. UL listed fixtures meet all the necessary requirements.
- Automation: Motion detectors, timers, light sensors, and smart integration can increase the cost and energy savings as well as enhance the security and safety that landscape lighting provides.
Example of Landscape Lights in a Sentence
"Spotlights are probably the most common type of landscape light, used to highlight the best features in an outdoor space."
Synonyms: outdoor lighting
Related Terms for Landscape Lights